Thursday, May 16, 2013

Life: Healthy Living 101

 
 
Photo Credit
 
Today, I'm rejoining Weight Watchers. I've had success with the program in the past, but I'm currently at my highest weight in more than four years. I just typed that sentence without judgment or frustration. Instead, I'm choosing to approach this journey with radical self-compassion. Here's why:
 
Hating yourself thin doesn't work.
 
No, really. It doesn't. I've tried this approach dozens of times. I've been desperate, angry, and tearful. I've literally eaten myself sick out of self-loathing. And I'm tired of it. Because when I'm truly honest, I know this year has been incredibly stressful and challenging. I also know, without a doubt, that whenever I'm upset food makes me feel better (even if it's just temporary). That's something I need to work on.
 
I'm not sure how much of my weight loss experience I'll share on the blog, but in honor of rejoining Weight Watchers, I thought I'd offer some of the most valuable lessons I've learned in 15 years of dieting.

1. Relax. This isn't a race. It also isn't a competition.
 
2. Stop counting the days, weeks, months until you reach your goal weight. Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.*

3. Actually, don't even bother choosing a goal weight. Take care of yourself and let your body figure the rest out. This is sometimes known as your ideal weight.

4. Stop believing weight loss is going to solve any problems that aren't health-related. If you don't like yourself now, you're never going to like yourself. Start with self-love and good habits. Hold on tight until the rest falls into place.

5. Let go of perfectionism. Life is messy and occasionally requires doughnuts.

6. Don't weigh yourself every day. It's depressing and it gives too much power to the number on the scale. If you must track your weight, make it weekly, monthly, or bi-monthly.
 
7. Movement isn't a form of punishment. It's a privilege and a gift. Find a form of exercise you like and start doing it as often as you're able.
 
8. Accept that emotional eating might be part of your journey. Your goal is to be accountable for your behavior and identify alternate options for managing stress.
 
9. Believe that a power greater than yourself has the ability to restore you to sanity.** Acknowledge that your relationship with food - like any another addiction - is something that needs to be addressed physically, mentally, and spiritually.

10. Understand that your concept of beauty is shaped by society, family, and the media. Although it might feel like an inner voice is constantly telling you that you're not enough, remember it might not necessarily be your voice. Create your own definition of beauty and cultivate self-love through thick and thin (literally).

Wishing you peace in your own journey toward self-acceptance.

Love,
Ellen Louise
 
*There seems to be some confusion about the origins of this quote. Because it appears in his song "Beautiful Boy" we'll go with John Lennon.
 
**Adapted from the "Twelve-Step Program."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment